542 Virginia Drive. | Orlando, Florida 32803
The Glicken Law Firm
Free Initial Consultations: (407) 930-8968
Fathers’ Rights / Mothers’ Rights
father mother rights

Fathers' and Mothers' Rights Lawyer in Orlando Advocates for Your Family

Working in support of the best interests of the child

The idea of "Fathers' rights" has become a popular buzzword in the world of family law. However, the court system is aware of the vitally important role fathers play in their children's lives. The court is not trying to thwart the fathers' attempts to be involved in their children's lives. In Florida, the assumption is that both parents will play equal roles in raising their children. Fathers, whether their children were born in marriage or outside of marriage, must assert their intentions and demonstrate an interest in playing an active role in their child's life. Attorney David Scott Glicken is prepared to advocate for dads without excluding the rights of moms.

Asserting custody rights for fathers in Florida

Fathers' rights are basically divided into two categories. The first one is the divorced father who wants to have shared custody of his child, now called parenting time. The second is the unmarried father who wants to assert his right to have access to his child through a court-ordered process if he and the child's mother are no longer together.

For the divorced father, you must work with your former spouse to develop a parenting plan that includes a time-sharing plan that affords you as close to equal time with the child as is best for the child and your circumstances. Paying your child support obligation promptly and consistently is often crucial to your case. Demonstrate your commitment to being involved by attending your child's extracurricular activities, doctor appointments, school and sporting events, performances and parent-teacher conferences.

For an unmarried father who wants to establish paternity, the first step is to fill out the form on the putative father registry. A DNA test may be required to prove paternity.

A father's presence in his child's life is essential to the child's development. Along with the right to parenting time and making important decisions about the child's future comes the responsibility to support the child financially.

Defending mothers rights to child custody and child support

When you are in the midst of a contentious divorce, it can be challenging to try to work out a parenting time schedule that works for you and your former spouse. As a good mother your desire is to take care of your children and build a strong relationship with them. You have the right to make sure that the father of your children plays his role in supporting the children emotionally by spending time with them and financially by paying his child support obligation on time.

If your children were born when you were married to their father, then the two of you will work out a parenting plan that includes a time-sharing schedule that works for everyone concerned. However, if you are unmarried, you will have sole custody of the child until the father of the child has proven paternity and pursued his legal rights to parenting time with the child. Once he has proven paternity and has demonstrated that he wants to take an active role in the child's life, the two of you will work with the court to come up with a parenting plan and time-sharing arrangement. If the child will be living with the mother and visiting with the father, the father will then begin paying child support.

Grandparents' and Stepparents' custody and visitation rights in Florida

Grandparents do not have visitation rights aside from whatever contact the child's parents approve. If the child is in the custody of the state due to DCF involvement, or if the birth parents' rights have been terminated, then grandparents or stepparents can pursue visitation and eventually custody of the child. The court will look for a pre-existing relationship between the grandparents or stepparent and the child. It is helpful if one of the parents approves of the arrangement and will support the grandparents' or stepparent's case.

Figuring out time-sharing arrangements, parenting plans, third-party custody arrangements and child support payments can be a challenging and frustrating experience. Working with an experienced family law attorney like David Scott Glicken will help you find workable solutions to your parenting dilemmas.

Contact an Orlando family law attorney today to discuss your case

Whether you are a divorced or unmarried dad looking to assert your right to make decisions for your children and be a presence in their lives, or a mom who needs help in getting her former spouse or child's father involved in creating a viable parenting plan and time-sharing schedule for your child, attorney David Scott Glicken can help. Call us at (407) 930-8968 contact us online to schedule a consultation.

In order to help you more quickly, please fill out the quick form and submit.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.