542 Virginia Drive . | Orlando, Florida 32803
The Glicken Law Firm
Free Initial Consultations: (407) 930-8968
Child Support
child support

Orlando, FL Child Support Attorney Handles Enforcement and Modifications in Orlando

Resolving child support issues in the best interest of the child

When your marriage ends, your obligation to care for and support your children continues. Although you and your spouse are no longer a couple, you are still co-parents for your children. Working out parenting plans that involve who will have custody of the children, where they will live most of the time, and how they will be supported financially is a critical part of your divorce settlement agreement.

Working out issues of child custody, child support and spousal support can be fraught with disagreements and high emotion. Attorney David Scott Glicken has years of experience helping families iron out their differences and come to an agreement that works best for the children involved.

Who pays child support?

Child support is a legal obligation for both parents. When the court orders child support to be paid, the judge will direct one parent to pay the other, or the court might direct the parent to make payments through the State Disbursement Unit (SDU). When payments are facilitated through the SDU, the clerk of courts maintains the child support payment records.

There are several factors that will determine how much child support one parent will pay to the other, including the financial means of each parent, the amount of time the children spend overnight with each parent, and the number of children. Florida has basic child support guidelines that are used to calculate the amount of child support one parent will pay to the other.

To apply for child support in Florida, visit your local county child support office and fill out the application form. You will need to supply information about your current employment, a financial affidavit and a completed paternity declaration.

Child Support Modification and Enforcement

Child support payments are not optional. The Florida Department of Revenue (DOR) is responsible for enforcing child support orders. If a non-custodial parent does not pay child support, there are a variety of enforcement actions that can be taken in an effort to encourage the parent to get caught up on back payments including:

  • Collection of interest on support obligations
  • Driver's license suspension
  • Passport suspension
  • Liens on settlements
  • Garnishments
  • Contempt proceedings

If there has been a significant change in your circumstances since the amount of child support that you are obligated to pay was ordered, you can request a modification.

If both parents can agree to the new payment rate and schedule, and it complies with state guidelines, they can put their agreement in writing and follow the new payment amount. If the parents cannot come to an agreement, the court will make a decision in a child support hearing.

The parents' obligation to pay child support typically ends when the child reaches the age of 18, or when the child graduates from college.

If you are a custodial parent who is seeking the enforcement of a child support or a spousal support order after a divorce, Attorney David Scott Glicken can protect your rights and take legal action on your behalf to collect all the payments currently in arrears.

Contact an Orlando family law attorney who will advocate for you and your children

If you need legal guidance to make sure that your child's rights are protected, attorney David Scott Glicken has 35 years of experience helping families move through the difficulties of divorce. Call us at (407) 930-8968 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation to discuss your case.

In order to help you more quickly, please fill out the quick form and submit.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.